Almeley is a parish and village, 10 miles north-west from Hereford, 5 from Kington (polling town), and 4 from Weobley (petty sessional town), in Stretford and Wolphy hundreds, Weobley union and rural deanery, Kington county court district, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Brecon and Kington tram-road. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Gothic style, restored by cleaning the stone pillars and bringing out the handsome old oak ceiling about 1843; it has a nave, aisles, miniature transepts, porch, chancel, organ, vestry, mid tower with 5 bells and a clock. The register dates from 1595. The living is a vicarage, worth £207 10s. yearly, with residence and 59a. 3r. 8p. of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester; the Rev. William Edwards, M.A., of Christ College, Cambridge, is the Incumbent. There is a National school for 60 children, supported by yearly subscriptions. There are vestiges of a camp near the church, also a barrow. The population in 1861 was 637; the area is 3,352a. 2r. 21p., including the whole parish with all townships. The soil is clayey; the subsoil, red sandstone, marl, with gravel in some parts. Richard Foley Onslow, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Richard Foley Onslow, Esq., Edward Southall, Esq., T. Downes, Esq., and R. S. Cox, Esq., are chief landowners. The villages are Woonton, about 1 mile from the church, and Almeley, surrounding the church. The hamlets are Hopley’s Green and Logaston, and Houghton or Wootton; but none of these have any separate officers.
Hopley’s Green is a hamlet, 1 mile north-north-east, in Wolphy hundred. The area Is about 400 acres. Miss Elizabeth Foley is lady of the manor; Miss Elizabeth Foley and F. Downes, Esq., are chief landowners.
Logaston is a hamlet, 1 mile east, in Wolphy hundred. The area is about 200 acres. Miss E. Foley is lady of the manor; and Miss E. Foley, Mrs. Onslow, and Miss Pember are chief landowners. Newport House is the residence of Richard Foley Onslow, Esq., J.P.
Upcott Cross, Meer Common, and The Stocks are places are.
Parish Clerk, John Harper
Edwards Rev, William, M.A., J.P. The Vicarage
Onslow Richd. Foley, esq. J.P. Newprt. ho
Williams Henry Hunter, esq
Baird Henry, beer retailer
Ball Thomas, farmer, New house
Bowcott John, boot & shoe maker
Dnvies John, farmer, Ahneley Wootton
Ford James, farmer, Bridge
Foster Thomas, farmer, Old Castle
Griffiths Thomas, Buck inn, Wootton
Hankins Joseph, farmer, Woonton
Hankins Richard, farmer, Upcott
Harper John, wheelwright, Woonton
Jenkins Wm. farmer, Hopley’s green
Jones Edward, farmer & cattle dealer, The Stocks
Lilwall William, farmer, Woonton
Lloyd Thomas, cooper & shopkeeper
Mainwaring James, farmer, Upcott
Michael William, tailor
Ovens John, farmer, Meer common
Price John, blacksmith, Woonton
Pritchard Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Logaston
Prosser Thomas, shopkeeper, Wootton
Russell Joseph, Plough, Woonton
Shears James, farmer, Lower Wootton
Smith Samuel, farmer, Lower Wootton
Sneade John, farmer
Stimson James, farmer
Vale John, carpenter
Vaughan William, shopkeeper
Wall William, farmer, Hopley’s green
Williams Thomas, Bell, & blacksmith
Williams Thomas, carpenter
Post Office, Wootton. — Mrs. Isabella Treherne, postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Eardisley.
National School (mixed), John Miller, master; Mrs. Martha Miller, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.