Abererch, Caernarfonshire

Abererch The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Crynllwyn bach, Aber-erch (birthplace of Revd ...
Crynllwyn bach, Aber-erch (birthplace of Revd John Elias) (Photo credit: LlGC ~ NLW)

ABERERCH, a parish in the hund. of Dinlaen, 2 miles north-east of Pwllheli, Pwllheli union, Carnarvonshire; near the mouth of the Erch, which discharges itself into Cardigan bay. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Bangor, having Penrhos chapelry annexed to it; rated at £6, and in the parliamentary returns at £105 per annum; gross income £96. Patron, the crown. There is a National school here. Pop. in 1801, 1129; in 1831, 1365. Houses 270. A. P. £2,275. Poor rates, in 1837, £572. Continue reading

About these ads

Aberdaron Caernarfonshire

Aberdaron Carnarvonshire Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

English: Aberdaron Seen from the bridge over t...
English: Aberdaron Seen from the bridge over the Afon Daron, in the foreground is Y Gegin Fawr (The Big Kitchen), a cafe nowadays but originally built in the 14th century as a resting place for pilgrims heading to Bardsey Island. A pilgrimage to Bardsey was apparently considered equivalent to one to Rome. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

ABERDARON (ABER-DARON), a parish, in the union of Pwllheli, hundred of Commitmaen, Lleyn division of the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 13 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli; containing 1350 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the extreme point of the peninsula of Lleyn, the Promontorium Langanum of Ptolemy, derives its name from the small river Daron, which here falls into the sea, off Bardsey Race. In 1115, Grufydd ab Rhys, Prince of South Wales, took sanctuary in the church of this place, from the treachery of Grufydd ab Cynan, sovereign of North Wales, who intended to deliver him into the hands of the English monarch, Henry I. Grufydd ab Cynan commanded the fugitive prince to be dragged from his asylum by force; but his soldiers were unable to execute his orders, from the strenuous resistance opposed to them by the clergy of the neighbourhood, who successfully exerted themselves in defence of the privileges of the church; and the young prince, with his partisans escaped by night, and set forward on his journey to the deep forest of Strath Towy, in South Wales, where, having collected the adherents of his family, he commenced hostilities against the Norman and Flemish settlers. Aberdaron was anciently much resorted to by devotees, as a place of embarkation for Bardsey Island, on their pilgrimage to the celebrated monastery established there; and on the summit of the promontory are the remains of the ancient Capel Vair, or Chapel of Our Lady, erected for the use of the mariners, who, previously to their entering upon the dangerous navigation of the sound, were accustomed to invoke the protection of its tutelar saint. At a small distance from it, and near the shore, are the remains of another chapel, called Capel Anhaelog, which, like the former, has been suffered, since the dissolution of Bardsey monastery, to fall into decay.
Continue reading

Aber or Abergwyngregyn, Caernarfonshire

Aber or Aber-Gwyngregyn Carnarvonshire 1845

English: Church at Abergwyngregyn The Church a...
English: Church at Abergwyngregyn The Church at Abergwyngregyn alongside the A55 road (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

ABER, or ABER-GWYNGREGYN, a parish, in the union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Llechwedd Uchav, county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Bangor; containing 556 inhabitants. This place was anciently the residence of the native princes of North Wales, of whom Llewelyn the Great erected, on an artificial mount, called the Mwd, near the village, a strong castle, to defend the pass, of which, except the site, there are no vestiges; neither can any traces be discovered of the palace in which he resided. Several of the Welsh princes dwelt occasionally at this place, and Davydd ab Llewelyn died here, about 1246, and was buried in the abbey of Conway. When King John, with a numerous army, attempted the subjugation of North Wales, Llewelyn the Great ordered all his men of Denbigh to retire within the fastnesses among the mountains of Snowdon and from this place despatched his princess, who was the daughter of that monarch, to Aberconway, the head-quarters of the English forces, to intercede with her father, in which she succeeded, and obtained for Llewelyn a treaty of peace, but upon very unfavourable terms. Continue reading

Aberconway Carnarvonshire 1845

28. Conway Church, from the N.E. by Francis Be...
28. Conway Church, from the N.E. by Francis Bedford (c.1860) [DETAIL] (Photo credit: pellethepoet)
ABERCONWAY (ABER-CONWAY), a sea-port, borough, market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Llechwedd Isav, county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 24 miles (E.N.E) from Carnarvon, and 236 (N. W. by W.) from London, on the road to Holyhead ; containing 1339 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently called Caer Gyfin, is supposed to have arisen from the ruins of the Roman station Conovium, in the neighbouring parish of Caerhun, and derives its name from its situation near the mouth of the river Conway, which falls into the Irish Sea about two miles from the town. Of its earlier history few particulars are recorded, and very little authentic information can be traced prior to the year 1185, when Llewelyn ab Iorwerth, Prince of Wales, founded a monastery here, for brethren of the Cistercian order, which he endowed with ample possessions and with numerous valuable and important privileges. The abbey continued to flourish unmolested till the reign of Henry III., during whose efforts to repair the fortifications of Deganwy, on the opposite side of the river, to facilitate the subjugation of the principality, it was plundered and some of the conventual buildings were burnt, about the year 1245, by a party of three hundred of his Welsh vassals in the marshes, whom that monarch had despatched to the rescue of a vessel from Ireland, laden with provisions, which was stranded on the coast, and had been attacked by the people of this neighbourhood, who had previously reduced the English soldiers to great distress, by cutting off their supplies. Exasperated at the outrage done to their stately monastery, now become one of the primary objects of their religious veneration, the Welsh rushed down from the mountains, whither they had been driven by the detachment from Henry’s army, and suddenly fell upon their assailants, whom they found heavily laden with spoil, slew many of them, forced others into the Conway, where they perished, and took several prisoners, whom they afterwards barbarously put to death, cutting off their heads, tearing their limbs, and throwing their mangled corpses and members into the Conway. They then again furiously attacked the vessel, which was defended with great bravery and spirit by Sir Walter Bisset, until midnight, when, on the influx of the tide, the Welsh were obliged to withdraw, and Sir Walter and his force, abandoning their dangerous situation, retired to the English camp. In the morning the Welsh returned, and, finding the vessel deserted, took possession of the cargo, almost wholly consisting of wine, and set fire to the ship; so that the English only obtained seven tuns of wine, which they took out of that portion of the vessel not consumed by fire.  Continue reading

Conway Parish Registers 1793

Edward Owen Vicar

Baptized Anne daughter of John Griffith by Jane his wife, Jan. 6.

Baptized Owen, son of Robert Prichard of the parish of Bangor by Mary his wife, Jan. 12.

Baptized Owen, son of Griffith Roberts, by Blanch his wife, Jan. 13.

Buried Jane Roberts, a young woman, Jan. 19.

Buried Mary Evans, wife of Edward Peter, Jan. 25.

Baptized Mary, daughter of Hugh Jones, by Mary his wife, Jan. 27. Continue reading

Nevin Caernarvonshire Universal British Directory 1791

Nevin, Nefin, or Newin, in North Wales.  It is seated on the shore fo [sic] the Irish Sea, opposite Pulhelly, and is a very poor town.  It has a small market; and three fairs, on April 4, Saturday before Whitsuntide, and August 25.  It is twenty-two miles south-west of Caernarvon, and 250 north-west of London.

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 5.

Crickleith Caernarvonshire Universal British Directory 1791

Crickleith, 223 miles from London, is a place of great antiquity.  Here are the remains of a strong castle, supposed to have been built by one of Welsh princes in the reign of King John. The gate and some of the walls are still standing, which appears to have been a very strong place.  The town is at present much decayed. The government is vested in two bailiffs, who are assisted by some of the principal inhabitants.  Market is on Wednesday; and there are three fairs, May 23, July 1, and Oct. 18.

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 5.