CHEETHAM, a village, a township, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village bears the name of Cheetham Hill; stands within Manchester borough, 2 ½ miles NNW of the centre of Manchester; and has a post-office under Manchester. The township includes the village; is all suburban to Manchester; contains numerous villas of Manchester merchants and manufacturers; and was long the residence of the ancient family of Chetham. Acres, 919. Real property, £77,917. Pop., 17,446. Houses, 3,168.—The sub-district contains also the township of Crumpsall. Acres, 1,652. Pop., 21,731. Houses, 3,882. The chapelries are St. Luke-Cheetham and St. Mark-Cheetham; and were constituted in 1840 and 1846. Pop., 4,719 and 2,377. Houses, 843 and 478. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. Luke, £258; of St. Mark, not reported. Patrons of St. Luke, Trustees; of St. Mark, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The churches of both are good; There are two chapels for Independents and two for Wesleyans; and one of the latter, in Waterloo-road, is an edifice in the early English style, built in 1862.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].