Allensmore is a parish intersected by the road from Hereford to Abergavenny, 4 miles (to the church) south-west from Hereford, 2 ½ north from Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 14 west-north-west from Ross, in the Hereford division of the county, hundred of Webtree, county court district, rural district and petty sessional division of Hereford, rural deanery of Hereford South and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, renovated and the tenor recast in 1890 at the cost of Mrs. Pateshall: the church was restored in 1880, principally at the expense of the late E. Pateshall, esq. of Allensmore Court, and the Rev. James E. Grasett; the work included the reconstruction of part of the nave roof, the re-flooring of the church, the opening of the former ceiled roof and the removal of the gallery; a new font was also introduced; the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Grasett (d. 1875), wife of the Rev. James E. Grasett (vicar 1867-1914), and there is a window to Mrs. Bent: in 1923 an oak chancel screen was erected by Miss Grasett in memory of her father: in 1934 the church was reseated, at the cost of Mrs. H. E. P. Pateshall, the churchyard was enlarged in 1908, the land being given by Mrs. Pateshall. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, with residence, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1930 by the Rev. Charles Gough Littlehales M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There is a Methodist chapel at Hungerstone and another at Cobhall Common. The charities are of about £10 annual value. Allensmore Court, the seat of Col. Henry E. P. Pateshall D.S.O., D.L.. J. P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine and ancient mansion of brick, beautifully situated in a thickly-wooded park of about 100 acres, with an ornamental lake of 5 acres. The soil is gravel and the subsoil marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and turnips. The area is 2, 024 acres of land and inland water; population in 1931 was 459.
Hungerstone is 1 ½ miles south-west. Winnall, 2 miles south-by-west , and Cobhall, 1 west, are hamlets.
Post, M. O. & T. office. Letters from Hereford.
Omnibuses pass through to Hereford & Abergavenny daily & Ewyas Harold, wed & sat.
Marked thus + letters should be addressed Clehonger, Hereford.
(For TN see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Littlehales Rev. Charles Gough M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Pateshall Col. Henry Evan Pateshall D.S.O., D.L. J.P. Allensmore court
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Barrell Ernest, farmer, Winnall Com
Bishop Gertrude (Mrs.), shopkpr
Davies Geo. Thos. shopkpr
Eckley Albt. smallholder
Edwards Wm. Geo. farmer. Village fm
Farr Tom Paxton, farmer, Cobhall ct
Gerrard Wm. fruit grower, Hazelbank
* Griffiths Stansfield, farmer, Upper Mawfield
Harris Jas. E. farmer, Tithing Barn farm
Harris Mrs. farmer, Little Cobhall
Harris Stanley, smallhldr, Woodstreet
Harris Wm. smallholder, Moss Green
James Thos. blacksmith
Johnson Wm. smallholder, Merepool
Knipe Chas. Fras. farmer, Hungerstone farm. Wormbridge 215
Lawrence Geo. Alfd. & Alice & Ida (Misses), farmers, Winnall
Lawrence Alfd. Wm. smallholder, Moorfield
Lawrence Herbt. Edwd. farmer, Winnall court
Leake Jn. decrtr. Cobhall common
Lewis Reuben William, farmer, Traphouse farm
Lewis Wm. smallholder, Red ho
* Lloyd D. E. (Mrs.), farmer, Cobhall manor. Belmont 236
Lock’s Garage, cars for hire: motor, cycle & agricultural engineers, welders & wireless dealers; leading agencies, Raleigh, Sunbeam, B.S.A., Royal Enfield &c. Wormbridge 206
Lock Claude Brewer, grocer & tobacconist
*Lock Fredk. Wm. Arth. farmer, Home farm
Morris Wm. smallholder, Orles
Moses Jas. confctnr. & post office. Belmont 012
Oakeshott L. (Mrs.), farmer, Winnall Common
Ockey Wltr. Ernest, farmer, Winnall hall
*Owens Gwyn David, farmer, Green farmer. Belmont 251
Pearce Fredk. Jn. farmer, Courtlands
Powell Eric, farmer, Lower Mawfield farm
Skyrme Joseph Hy. frmr. Gethenfield
Three Horseshoes Inn (People’s Refreshment House Association Ltd.). Wormbridge 6
Turpin Edith (Mrs.), butcher. Wormbridge 208
+ Watkins Ernest, farmer, Meer court
Weaver Jas. smallholder, Pinnock pl
Yapp Alfd. Smallholder, Court Plocks
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information