ACTON SCOTT is a township and parish, 3½ miles south-south-east from Church Stretton, and about 1 mile from Marsh Brook station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, Church Stretton union, Ludlow county court district, rural deanery of Wenlock, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on an eminence above the Shrewsbury and Ludlow road. The church of St. Margaret has a tower and 3 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value £238, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of F. W. Pendarvis, Esq., the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. George Magee, M.A. The Mansion, in the occupation of Mrs. Stackhouse Acton, is in the Elizabethan style; the grounds are spacious, and tastefully laid out. At the census of 1861 the parish contained a population of 207 inhabitants, with 1,889 acres. Continue reading
AYMESTREY is a parish, comprising the townships of Aymestrey, Covenhope, Leinthall Earles, Lye, and Yatton; the village is distant 7½ miles north-west from Leominster (its post, railway, poor-law union, market and polling town), 2½ from Wigmore (at which place petty sessions are held), and 18 from Hereford (the county town), in the Leominster division of Wigmore hundred and partly in Stretford hundred, Leominster union and rural deanery of Leominster, North Herefordshire, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Great Watling Street turnpike road, and on the river Lug, which is famous for its trout and grayling fishing. The church of St. John is an old stone building in the Early English style; it has a square tower containing 6 bells, an ancient monument (supposed to be to the memory of the founder and his wife), font, clock, and old register, and on the south side of the chancel is a fine specimen of herringbone masonry. The living is a vicarage, worth £400 yearly, including residence and about 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Rogers, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge, is the incumbent, and the Rev. J. J. Peglar, B.A., curate. Continue reading
Aylton, or Aylton Chapel, is a small parish, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and bishopric and diocese of Hereford, 6 miles west from Ledbury. The church, which stands on a mound, is small and plain, having a low tower and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, value £132, in the gift of Lady Langdale; the Rev. James Mapleton, B.A. (of Tarrington), Worcester College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 96; the area is 812 acres. Earl Somers is lord of the manor.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Napper.
Avenbury is a parish, 2½ miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 11 north from Ledbury, 13 north-east from Hereford railway station, and 153 from London, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district. Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is pleasantly situated on the Bromyard and Ledbury turnpike road; the river Frome runs through it. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Gothic style, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Frome, with small square tower and 3 bells; the interior of the church consists of nave, chancel and a porch. The register dates from 1661. The living is a stipendiary vicarage, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, in the gilt of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Shepherd, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Birchy Field, the residence of Mrs. Kempson, is a finely built structure of freestone, in the Modern English style, commanding an extensive and prospective view of the surrounding country. The population in 1801 was 371; the acreage is 3,048. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone. The representatives of the late Dean of St. Asaph are lords of the manor; Edmund Higginson, Esq., James Sanders, Esq., and John Freeman, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. There are charities of 40s. yearly value. Near Bridenbury is a detached part of the parish, which in 1861 contained 34 persons. Continue reading
ECCLESIÆ DE DURNEFORD,
IN COM’ WILTS.
5 ….. Richard …… to Margerita Bagge.
25 Oct. Thomas Batcheler to Joan Jar. . . .
27 Nov. Michael Pavie to Juliana Noble.
1575. [No Entries.]
10 Oct. Thomas Bridges to Margery Bailie. Continue reading
Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 2 from Micheldean-road station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree hundred, Newent county court district and union, Ross petty sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and Ross, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. The church is an old stone building, coloured white, very plain style, and in pretty good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, and tower with 4 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land: the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, B.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent and patron. There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10, and a house and garden left by the Rev. C. Stock, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton; also a meadow called Stockings, in the parish of Newent, rented at £7 per annum, for the adorning of the church. Continue reading